Indiana -- tree question

I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have leaves dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of hardwood trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the season but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it has, actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there anyone in here from central Indiana that can explain this?

Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere I look)

Reply to
Volfie

We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at this page

from my web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not, mother nature will take care of the problem and by next summer you won't notice the problem.

Reply to
Bill R

"Bill R" wrote

Thanks, Bill, great photos! Want one of my Scottish Deerhound about to gobble up a cicada?

Giselle (that's how *I* got rid of them -- fed them to the dogs :)

Reply to
Volfie

Yes, I would love to see that. And if anyone else has any good Cicada pictures I would love to see them too.

Reply to
Bill R

"Bill R" wrote

It's on its way!

Giselle

Reply to
Volfie

Giselle,

I got the picture. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill R

-> Volfie wrote:

-> > I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what I'm

-> > seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have

-> > leaves

-> > dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of hardwood

-> > trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the

-> > season

-> > but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the

-> > branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it has,

-> > actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there anyone in

-> > here from central Indiana that can explain this?

-> >

-> > Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere I

-> > look)

->

-> We have the same problem in my area and it is due mainly to

-> the Cicada invasion we had in May and June. If you look at

-> this page

from my

-> web site (the last picture) you will see the damage that the

-> female Cicadas did to many trees. This damage made the

-> branches weak and many of them died or broke. Fear not,

-> mother nature will take care of the problem and by next

-> summer you won't notice the problem.

Hey, Bill, those are some great photos!!

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Thanks Suzie-Q. The Cicada pages are still getting a lot of visitors so I guess I'll leave them up for a couple more months.

When the Cicadas were here everyone was complaining about the noise. Now, a lot of people are asking "when will they be back?"

Reply to
Bill R

-> Suzie-Q wrote:

-> > In article , Bill R

-> >

-> > wrote:

-> >

-> > -> Volfie wrote:

-> > -> > I'm new to Indiana (only third summer here) so I'm not sure if what

-> > I'm

-> > -> > seeing is usual or not. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of trees seem to have

-> > -> > leaves

-> > -> > dying at the very tips of the branches. There are a wide range of

-> > hardwood

-> > -> > trees that I originally thought were changing color very early in the

-> > -> > season

-> > -> > but now I can see they have dried up leaves at the very tips of the

-> > -> > branches. Is this because it has been overly dry (I'm not sure it

-> > has,

-> > -> > actually) or because of the cicada invasion this year? Is there

-> > anyone in

-> > -> > here from central Indiana that can explain this?

-> > -> >

-> > -> > Giselle (and it's trees all over -- not just mine -- it is everywhere

-> > I

-> > -> > look)

-> > ->

[...]

I was in Maryland 17 years ago when they came out. I sort of enjoyed the noise. It still gets to me that people complain about the cicada noise keeping them awake when there is no cicada noise at all after dark. Oh well.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

I'm in southern Indiana, and the damage to the trees is most definitely due to the cicadas. They lay their eggs in the thin branches. When the branch tips get too thin or multiple cicadas lay in the same branch, they cut into the middle section where water is carried to the leaves, so the tips die. Your trees will just have a nice pruning this year and should be fine next year.

Meagan

Reply to
Meagan M Eller