ID'ing common sprouts--probably a tree

Out of curiosity thought I'd post this question.

We are seeing lots of these all over the lawns, backyards, side, behind the garage. I'm guessing it is a tree since it is so well spread. Does anyone recognize it?

camera color is accurate. It has a reddish tinge in the leaves.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Brian

One of the maples, and it's a seedling. Probably re maple knowing the area.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Definitely a maple of some variety. Many species reseed easily and will sprout with abandon. Got any mature maples in the vicinity? These are most likely its offspring.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I wouldn't know a maple tree if it fell on me. I'll see if I can spot a mature form of the leaf online and compare around the house. There are a few big trees on neighboring properties, only one on ours but they are everywhere.

Thanks to everyone for narrowing down the suspects.'

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Reply to
Brian

Brian:

Sycamore has alternate branching. This seedling has opposite branching, hence cannot be a platens.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Reply to
Brian

Pretty darn big cotyledons for such a miniscule Sycamore seed. And thank you :)

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Reply to
Brian

Well I'll be darned. :)

Reply to
Mike LaMana

'Sycamore' is the common name (in Great Britain) for a type of maple (Acer pseudoplantanus). This 'sycamore' would indeed have opposite branching. You can occasionally find one of these 'sycamore' maples planted in the USA; my friend had one in the backyard of her house in town. (It took me a while to figure out what type of maple that one was.)

In North America, the common name 'sycamore' is applied to a plane tree (especially Platanus occidentalis).

And, to be thorough, the 'sycamore' mentioned in the Bible is actually a type of fig (Ficus sycamorus).

The original poster's sprouts were definitely some sort of maple (Acer sp.).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Yes of course!! How stupid of me...I knew this at some point! We actually see feral sycamore maples in NYC area from time to time. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike LaMana