Ice Inside Planters

Seems like nobody in rec.gardens.edible either has the answers or wants to take the trouble to answer, so I'm posting this again in this forum.

I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter. These are all plastic pots which have filled with the melted snow, to the brim. With the varying temperatures we are experiencing, some of this water has refrozen. Will this ice layer atop the soil in any way harm the plants? Should I make extra efforts to remove it?

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

Unless I am misunderstanding the situation these pots are full of standing ice cold water that refreezes from time to time. The lack of drainage and consistently cold wet roots would worry me as much as any ice. And to even begin to comment on how much freezing they could tolerate we would want to know the species of trees.

Reply to
Toni

I hope the pots are not frozen completely. The idea of burying them in the garden is to insulate them from the cold with soil. What I am seeing is the top exposed part of the pots and probably just a layer of ice at the top surface. These plants are mostly young fruit rootstocks, which I will use for grafting next spring.

Sherw> > I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter.

Reply to
sherwindu

I see at least one reply to your question at rec.gardens.edible.

Reply to