How much extent the chemical which are used in planting affect our health?

Hello guys,

How much extent the chemical which are used in planting affect our health?

I really want to know as its important to our health.

Reply to
Monikacis

Some aspects of this question are fairly clear. For example pesticide use contributes towards farming being a dangerous profession. According to Wiki (I haven't tracked down the source) "The World Health Organization estimated in 1992 that 3 million pesticide poisonings occur annually, causing 220,000 deaths". Also there are flow on effects of the use of fertilisers and pesticides upon land and waterways (eg eutrophication) and other issues such as poisoning bees and birds which affect the environment which ultimately affect us.

Other aspects are not so clear, is any use of pesticide a risk or is it only when misused? For example if pesticides are used according to instructions, withholding periods are used correctly etc, are the fruits and veges you buy in supermarkets a risk to your health or not? Some say yes, some say no and some say yes but it is worth it as the benefits outweigh the problems. There is every chance of this topic becoming a religious issue and leaving you just as bemused as if you found a priest, a rabbi and a mullah wrestling in a closet.

I can only suggest that if this really bothers you should grow your own food or get it from somebody who you know doesn't use chemicals. As mentioned in a recent thread buying food labelled "organic" may or may not mean that it is free of such. To me the demonstrable benefits in growing your own are freshness, flavour and choice.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Facts : ? Worldwide, an estimated three million cases of pesticide poisoning occur every year, resulting in an excess of 250,000 deaths.

? This mortality accounts for a substantial fraction of the almost

900,000 people worldwide who die by suicide every year.

? In attempted suicide, which is considerably more frequent than completed suicide, pesticide poisoning results in temporary or permanent disability.

? Intentional and unintentional pesticide poisoning has been acknowledged as a serious problem in many agricultural communities of low- and middle-income countries, including China, India, Sri Lanka, and Viet Nam.

? Efforts to develop a systematic and sustainable approach to the prevention and management of pesticide poisoning remain inadequate.

The odd part is that the poster starts out asking if chemicals used in "planting" affect our health, and then turns around and states that s/he wants to know, because it is important for our health. Effectively s/he is asking for an opinion, while already judging the "chemicals" to be important to our health.

What grade are you in kid?

Reply to
Billy

It's all relative ... not to worry .. - not breathing and not drinking water have a much more profound effect on health ... or lack of such. I hope this helps.

hubops

Billy wrote: ...

quite possible english not knowing well.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'd add, and maybe to irritate someone, that every time you breathe you breathe in chemicals. Oh, I guess oxygen and nitrogen don't count ;)

Reply to
Frank

I'm with you Frank, this pseudoscience subset is desperately pretending they know what they are talking about when they attempt to inject their misinformed and misguided commune lifestyle on the entrie population.

Indulge me a billy google;

Gunner