Houttuynia cordata

Does anyone know how to eliminate this invasive "perennial"? Roundup has little effect......constant pulling seems to increase it....its all over my daylily bed so I cannot do major damage to the soil.

rich haynes

Reply to
rich

If you keep cutting it off at the soil line, eventually it will stop growing because it won't be able to photosynthesize. You must be dilligent about it. Not one leaf can get above soil. It can take a few years, but it can be done.

Reply to
Jangchub

Thanks for the cutting advice..while trying to dig some of it out, I noticed how deep its root/runner system went...over a foot down!......nurseries that sell this weed as a perennial ought to have their license taken away.

Rich

Reply to
rich

Well, actually I think it's up to the customer to do some research, but you have a point. There are a lot of people who are not gardeners, necessarily, and who would find this to be a beautiful plant. The only safe place for it is in a hard side pond as water plant. IMO.

Reply to
Jangchub