House plants

  Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too . They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is the best thing for them .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote:

i'm pretty sure that all plants have a time of resting at night and may over the long term need it to be healthy.
i'd put a much smaller/dimmer night light in a hallway or other location that will ligth the way well enough but not interfere in your own health (having any light on all night isn't good for people either).
songbird
On 4/24/2018 5:51 PM, songbird wrote:

I'll move the plants ... the way the house is laid out we can't see the light . It's just to keep from running into thing on those midnight bathroom runs .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

i can't stand the idea of leaving lights on at night. tiny LED night light would be as far as i'd go if i needed one.
around here i can navigate at night by all the little light sources that are on (stove clock, microwave clock, plugs, stereo power, etc). some of them we cover up with other things because we don't want to see them all the time.
songbird
On 4/25/2018 5:25 AM, songbird wrote:

  That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog ... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to pee ?
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

no pets here (other than the worms :) ).
i like animals and such, but other people's pets are enough for me. i sure don't want any of my own at the moment. i don't like noise in general and am a fairly light sleeper sometimes. night time agents of chaos go firmly outside (Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...) and stay there until they meet their maker/hunter/coyote/vehicle/etc.
songbird
On 4/25/2018 8:48 AM, songbird wrote:

  I've had dogs almost all my life , wouldn't know what to do without one . Max is a great alarm system , we know right away when we have company . He's also very protective of us , a good thing out here in the woods . I suspect the local bear was up the hill this morning , Max was going nuts wanting to go up there - which is unusual . His breed - Mountain Cur - was bred for hunting , herding , and protection by early settlers in the Appalachians . I have no doubt he'd tackle a bear , though the outcome is uncertain .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

You don't want your pet dog taking on a bear, a 75 pound dog has no chance against a 300 pound black bear... a bear is stronger, faster, and can even climb trees. This mommy with babies was hanging out in my yard about a month ago: https://postimg.cc/image/tzmmbsnzv/ https://postimg.cc/image/blc37xeaz/ The only chance your hunting dog could have is if it's toting a .30 caliber rifle.
@aol.com Sheldon says...

OMG! What a crew!

It's cross posted, dimbulb.

Having the lights on 24/7 seems like a lot of light. I find these night lights to be more than adequate in my bathrooms for nighttime use. I also have them in my halls, and I never turn on any hall lights.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Not that the way positioned in the picture makes little sense. The objective is to light the floor, not the upper reaches of the room.
Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

I purchased a 6-pack of the same night lights. LEDs don't need to have bulbs changed every couple of months. We have night lights for the cats... it's very annoying stepping barefoot on squishy hairballs.

  Mostly because they scratch and bite ...
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on