House plants

  Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too . They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is the best thing for them .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote:

i'm pretty sure that all plants have a time of resting at night and may over the long term need it to be healthy.
i'd put a much smaller/dimmer night light in a hallway or other location that will ligth the way well enough but not interfere in your own health (having any light on all night isn't good for people either).
songbird
On 4/24/2018 5:51 PM, songbird wrote:

I'll move the plants ... the way the house is laid out we can't see the light . It's just to keep from running into thing on those midnight bathroom runs .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

i can't stand the idea of leaving lights on at night. tiny LED night light would be as far as i'd go if i needed one.
around here i can navigate at night by all the little light sources that are on (stove clock, microwave clock, plugs, stereo power, etc). some of them we cover up with other things because we don't want to see them all the time.
songbird
On 4/25/2018 5:25 AM, songbird wrote:

  That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog ... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to pee ?
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

no pets here (other than the worms :) ).
i like animals and such, but other people's pets are enough for me. i sure don't want any of my own at the moment. i don't like noise in general and am a fairly light sleeper sometimes. night time agents of chaos go firmly outside (Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...) and stay there until they meet their maker/hunter/coyote/vehicle/etc.
songbird
On 4/25/2018 8:48 AM, songbird wrote:

  I've had dogs almost all my life , wouldn't know what to do without one . Max is a great alarm system , we know right away when we have company . He's also very protective of us , a good thing out here in the woods . I suspect the local bear was up the hill this morning , Max was going nuts wanting to go up there - which is unusual . His breed - Mountain Cur - was bred for hunting , herding , and protection by early settlers in the Appalachians . I have no doubt he'd tackle a bear , though the outcome is uncertain .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

You don't want your pet dog taking on a bear, a 75 pound dog has no chance against a 300 pound black bear... a bear is stronger, faster, and can even climb trees. This mommy with babies was hanging out in my yard about a month ago: https://postimg.cc/image/tzmmbsnzv/ https://postimg.cc/image/blc37xeaz/ The only chance your hunting dog could have is if it's toting a .30 caliber rifle.
@aol.com Sheldon says...

OMG! What a crew!

It's cross posted, dimbulb.
On 4/25/2018 11:06 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Dogs are good for security & companionship, but for midnight bathroom runs I like a nice short string of LED decorative lights draped over the mirror. Well...maybe not as good for men as for women, since we don't have to aim. But fairly sufficient for both of us. Anyway, I can now finally turn off my closet light in the hall between the bed & the bath - which didn't help much once I got in there anyway even for a squatter.

Having the lights on 24/7 seems like a lot of light. I find these night lights to be more than adequate in my bathrooms for nighttime use. I also have them in my halls, and I never turn on any hall lights.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Not that the way positioned in the picture makes little sense. The objective is to light the floor, not the upper reaches of the room.
Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

I purchased a 6-pack of the same night lights. LEDs don't need to have bulbs changed every couple of months. We have night lights for the cats... it's very annoying stepping barefoot on squishy hairballs.

  Mostly because they scratch and bite ...
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 9:51:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

http://www.avsa.org/
This link is to African Violet Society of America. I'm guessing 24 hr light at the levels you have won't hurt the plants but check website for more in fo.
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 9:51:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Most bathroom lighting does not emit anything close to the spectrum of natural sunlight. Unless your African violets are in a sunny window they will suffer. Even the so called "Grow Lights" one can buy don't really help much. I used to be into African violets. There's a huge store/greenhouse in upstate NY that specializes in african violets, a huge operation, I've been there several times. If you have questions they are who to ask. http://lyndonlyon.com/