Hirts garden -- near Cleveland

I have seen a really interesting selection of plants and seeds from them on Ebay and thought about driving up there to look first hand.

About a 4 hour drive to get there.

Is anyone familiar witht them? Would it be worth the trip?

We don't have any big greenhouse operation around here with any plant variety at all.

Or if not Hurts, what is a "must see" in the Indiana/Ohio area?

THANKS

Reply to
Michael

The live plants I've bought from them have been poor-quality. I'd never drive 4 hours to buy there, although if you did you would at least be able to inspect the merchandise before you buy, not have it alternately rot or mummify in shipping, and not be subject to receiving tons of catalogs from them under different names.

Reply to
Jim Shaffer

So you've actually been there?

There is anything around my area that is any more impressive than Lowes......they do have an amazing selection and the lady told me that they are all on display.

If not them...any other ideas? Chicago?

Would like to spend a day somewhere that's BIG.

Reply to
Michael

No, I've bought via the Internet.

See their reviews here and decide for yourself. Although they're running 55% positive at the moment, 45% negative isn't something I'd want to deal with.

all I know, they may be better to deal with in person, but I have no way of knowing.

I do need to retract my statement about them sending out catalogs under different names. I was confusing them with another mail-order business with a similar reputation for poor quality.

Reply to
Jim Shaffer

Hurts has one of the largest selection of veggie plants in this area. A great place to find something different, but can't imagine anyone making a special trip unless it's spring, and planning your garden. I live about ten minutes away from there.

A much better choice is Bluestone perennials.com. A nice place to visit. Good mail order. Small plants, but fair prices. People from all over the US order from them. If your local, their end of the year sales are great!

There is always the Cleveland Botanical Garden too.

Reply to
Seedster