Hick's yew -- question about roots

Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new garden box to hold three or four more. I'm not describing this very well, but what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go. The one I have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David

Reply to
WPB

Hi David, The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8 wide or more, so space them accordingly.

'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more. New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your expertise!

Reply to
WPB

David, you are very welcome. I meant to tell you that yews hav extensive root systems when they mature, so try and make your bo without a bottom so the roots can grow into the native soil.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt