Help with identifying/locating houseplant

Years ago I had a plant I loved. With a quick glance, it gave the impression of a hanging spider plant, only because of the coloration which was light green and white/cream stripes.

It's growth habit was more like a "wandering jew" (Tradescantia zebrina) - hanging, and growing from the tips, rather than a central point as a spider plant does. The leaves were long and thin, almost ribbon-like, with gently rounded tips. The hanging stems often angled somewhat at some of the leaf-nodes, making these nodes look a little bit elbow-like. I remember that slips rooted easily in water.

Is this description ringing a bell? Can anyone tell me the name of this plant or where I might purchase one - or have a slip to spare? Any help in tracking it down would be appreciated!

Christine

Reply to
Raane

Have you looked in the more exotic type stores such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes?

Its such a common plant in the horticultural trade, you really shouldn't be having any trouble finding it.

Tradescantia zebrina used to be called Zebrina pendula.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Either your Home Depot has much more interesting things than mine or I must be describing it poorly. I aplogize. Only it's growth habit is similar to Zebrina pendula. The leaves are longer near the base, shorter at the growing tip. Most leaves are between two and three inches in length - some longer - but not more than a quarter of an inch wide, very long, narrow and ribbon-like.

Reply to
Raane

Hey babe,

Sorry to inform you but Tradescantia zebrina and Zebrina pendula are two different names for the exact same species.

You just might need to wait untill next spring when your local stores get their new shipments of hanging basket plants.

Reply to
Cereus-validus