Help to identify

This is growing in our garden lot. The previous owner has stuff planted where ever she happened to find the shovel. It was about 2-3 feet tall and completely dried out when we bought the house last year. The house was empty for a couple of months before we moved in so nothing had been watered. Now it is coming up. What can it be? I sprinkled a little triple 16 around then have been watering.

Anna

It is early yet, but you probably have a peony (Paeonia) emerging. I don't know what "triple 16" is but I would hold off fertilizing 'til after it flowers. Peonies are rather durable. Have fun with your discoveries!

Reply to
eclectic

Thanks for the fast response. Triple 16 is what a master gardener in our area (zone 8)recommended as a good all purpose fertilizer 16-16-16. Anna

Reply to
Anna

Reply to
Brian

"Anna" expounded:

It looks like a peony, as others have said. You can transplant it, it might not flower for another year or so, but then again it may still. If you leave it where it is, please gently remove the grass that's growing around it and don't use any high-powered fertilizer on it, if it gets too much nitrogen you'll have all sorts of nice green foliage and no blooms! I feed mine in the fall with a good bulb fertilizer and they bloom like mad for me.

If or when you move it, do it either right now or in early fall. Dig a large rootball with it. Do take care of it and let us know what the flowers look like, they're gorgeous plants.

Reply to
Ann