Help: Phoenix Canariensis palm care

Hi to everybody. I am a newbie, this is my first time in this group - sorry for my "rusty" english.

I am looking for some help regarding my Phoenix Canariensis palm. It is about 10 years old and it has grown pretty tall. Every winter I have protected the trunk and the leaves with a kind of cotton cover like the one used for strawberries. Now it is hard to cover the leaves, cause it is so tall. Also I noticed that the leaves in the palm's centre get damaged in the points where I roped them together. In spring those leaves break in these points and I have to cut them down.

My questions are: Do I have to protect the leaves during winter too or just the trunk? How should I cut the leaves off to obtain shortly and densely leaves? How do I obtein the palm to grow high and how to grow large?

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
Laganis