Help! Need insect ID on pines and hemlocks.

In the past I've had what I thought were pine saw flies attacking my mugho pine and I've controlled them with a systemic spray. I never did see the adult insect, just the masses of larvae eating the pine needles. I have hemlocks and always checked for the wooly adelgid but never found the cottony masses. Today, I found spittle on my hemlocks and also on the pine. The bug inside was beetle like, aboutt 3/16" long, black at the head, brown in the middle and light colored at the tail. I've never had any kind of bug on the hemlocks before; they are about 20 years old, as is the mugho pine.

Can anyone identify this bug for me?

ctlady

Reply to
ctlady

Try looking up "pine spittlebug" Go easy on the pesticides as you kill everything which would eat the target pest as well.

Reply to
beecrofter

Good advice, thank you~~

Reply to