Help - Florida sand - where to purchase soil amendments?!

Ok - I just tested my soil. My pH is around 6.5-7.5, my N is non existant, P and K are good. I live in central FL, my back yard is primarily sand.

According to this web site:

best soil amendment to use would be colloidal phosphate - except no one around here seems to know what the heck it is! I can't find it anywhere....

I'd like to prep my soil so that I can sow some Bahia grass seeds this spring, but don't know what to do....

Anyone?

Reply to
bruehlt

If your backyard is primarily sand the best thing you can do is add some organic matter.

Reply to
Travis

I do not know much about Florida gardening techniques, appropriate flora, grass, etc. That said, it seems to me that no amount of chemical additive is going to improve sand. You need to add organic material that results in a sandy humus before you can grow much of anything.

I have a large garden that was once pine woods. After clearing the trees and stumps I was left with a little top soil mixed with the sand underneath. I have poured organic material in the form of leaves, compost and straw into the area and now (13 years later) have a nice, deep bed in which I can grow most anything.

JMHO

John

Reply to
John Bachman

I'll echo what others have mentioned about adding plenty of organic matter. Rather than concentrate on any one nutrient I would advise a broad spectrum approach to ammending the soil. My South Florida soil is coral rock, rock rubble, and sand. Over the years I have added what feels like tons of organic compost, peat, manure, dried kelp and whatever else I can get my hands on and it has helped tremendously.

It is a fair bit of a pain to dig out the larger rocks and work in the ammendments, but each year it has gotten much easier. As you are planning turfgrass in the area you'll only have to do a major digging once. But add as much compost as you can get your hands on and work it in well.

Reply to
Toni

Find some place close that sell drilling mud, phosphate is a chemical they sometimes use.

Reply to
parker.stan