Have eroding hillside - requesting suggestions

Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway? Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every week to mow & etc.

Reply to
joe user

Whichever plant you choose, I would suggest laying down an erosion control blanket first, then planting through the blanket. Curlex is one brand name that woks well, as well as various other jutte fiber types of blankets. This will stabilize the soil while the plants root in. Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Used to see a lot of crown vetch along highways. In my experience it gives way to other vegetation but initial use seems to keep down erosion. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Crown Vetch is what the highway departments use. Any kind of cover is going to help. Try a contractor mix of grass seed to get some coverage before winter.

Reply to
Beecrofter

OK, thanks. I always wondered what 'jute matting' was for. I ( and my soon to be non-eroding hillside) thank you all.

Reply to
joe user

There's a perennial legume called birdsfoot trefoil that is great for erosion prevention. The highway department frequently seeds it on disturbed, construction areas, and it produces a splash of bright yellow flowers that is attractive. It isn't as tall as crown vetch, which I consider a plus. It has attributes for wildlife that you might like.

Check out this site:

or do you own Google search.

John

Reply to
B & J

Daylilies, shasta daisies, monarda will all fit the bilol.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens