Hanging Basket Plants for Deep Shade

Ok, so I have a new home and now have to figure out what will grow where.

My main concern is the patio area which is under a deck and heavily shaded by prior plantings and trees. I want to put some hanging baskets there but cannot think of what will survive deep shade, fall beautifully over the baskets edge and survive a St. Louis summer that will mean hot and humid. Oh, and I'd like to not have to water it daily.

I cannot think of a thing! Anyone have any ideas?

Loki

Reply to
Loki

I like to grow Begonias in shady areas. There are many varieties and they do very well in hanging baskets. Coleus and Caladiums are very colorful and like shady areas too and some varieties do well in hanging baskets.

Stop by your gardening center this spring and look at the plant tags. You will see many that do well in shade and as long as they don't get too large will also do well in hanging baskets.

Reply to
Bill R