Growing indoor plants for outdoor next spring

What type of plants can I grow over the fall/winter to be put outside next spring?

I had a kalanchoe (sp?) which I had outside this year and just brought inside. Are there any type plants similar to this that I can use inside and then come spring, take outdoors?

Reply to
Mceezee

Here are just a few of the plants that I bring in the house in the fall and put back outside in the spring,,, Asparagus Fern, Oxalis, Pointsettia, Tuberous Begonias, Geraninum, Vinca Vine. Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but all my houseplants summer outside each year, only to return indoors when the weather cools in fall. I call it the houseplant vacation plan :-)) Plants like the Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti particularly like this routine - they set buds almost immediately after returning indoors and are in bloom in just a matter of weeks. I also take cuttings of coleus each fall, root them and winter them over as houseplants before setting them out into containers in the garden come spring. You can do the same for fancy leaf or scented geraniums - regular geraniums as well, although they tend to overwinter pretty easily here on their own.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I take cuttings of wandering jew and coleus and grow them in water until January. Then I take cuttings again and put them into vermiculite, then peat pots which eventually get placed into the gardens. Most of my cactus plants spend the summer days on the porch, but I have one or two that get sunburn. Be careful about bringing in pests in the fall that could infect other plants.

Reply to
Phisherman

I did that too till I had a huge container full of fire ants. I never do that any more! Matter of fact, I am trying to get rid of all my houseplants. They are more a pain than not, and I have a greenhouse for my fix in winter. I don't put houseplants in it because it is an incredible waste of floor space. I'm getting pretty good and dumping houseplants on the compost pile! I'm not talking about prized performers, like shlumburgia, but just things which are very unhappy.

animaux