Broom Corn

Hello!

I grew this for the first time this year as my oddity ( I try to add something different every year).

The first hard frost has hit and the time has come to cut it down. But there is a collection of small plants around the base - next year's growth? I thought it was an annual.

I am going to leave them in place and cut down the long stalks to add to the compost heap. The seed heads are gracing a vase in the living room. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ah Nostalgia. When I was young we grew broom corn and made our own brooms. Actualy my dad did.

Reply to
FarmerDill

So, is it trying get set for an other year? Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Not sure what you mean. but the grain can be combed out of the seed head and planted the following year. The seed heads minus the seeds were used for making brooms. Even store bought brooms were made with broom corn before the inundation with plastics. The plant is similar to a grain sorghum and will not stand frost.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Thanks - the last line answered my question. I had never seen an annual put out what looked like new rosettes. And they seemed shrug off the light frosts I've had so far! Haven't been out much since the hard frost.

I really loved the effect of those stalks and seed heads in the garden this year and will grow them again next year! My other big winner was Jewels of Opar - like tiny rubies in the sun! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak