Growing Cactai in my flat

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome. As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JDOD

Is peyote illegal to grow?

Karen

Reply to
Karen

Be advised, United States federal law (and many state laws) protects the harvest, possession, consumption and cultivation of peyote as part of "bonafide religious ceremonies" (the federal statute is 42 USC §1996a "Traditional Indian religious use of the peyote sacrament," exempting only Native American use, while some state laws exempt any general "bonafide religious activity")

would guess that Peyote needs strong sunlight, since it is a desert plant. Other than a strong grow light, and a timer switch, I don't see a problem. You may want to get some of that cactus potting soil.

Good luck.

Reply to
Billy

I've no idea about the legality of Peyote, I live in the UK, so no idea here either.

Peyote is a relatively endangered plant so if I'm going to grow something it might aswell be that. Personally I don't think anyone has the right to tell you what plants are and aren't illegal - they are naturally occuring species for god's sake!

Reply to
JDOD

As Lenny Bruce said,"The only time I ever got into trouble with the law is when I used common sense".

Reply to
Billy

You'd say the same about opium poppies and marijuana, I suppose.

Lots of things are naturally occuring, like farts and burps, and sex, but in a civilized society, it's not just a free for all.

Karen

Reply to
Karen

Bill I'd just ingest nutmeg in moderation.

Reply to
Bill who putters

³Five days a week my Body is a Temple, the other two Days it¹s an Amusement Park!²
Reply to
Billy

Nutmeg tastes better also.......uh, so I hear.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Eh.... I was only wondering if anyone had any advice on growing cactai....

With regards to the comment on why I think naturally occuring plants should be legal (karen (3)'s post) - thats simple, they should be provided you are not trying to profit from it and/or are causing harm to others. Like anything really.

Reply to
JDOD