grow lights

Do florescent grow lights work well? I'm thinking about setting up a area in my basement to start some cuttings. Any info or ideas for setting up an area would help. What worked and didn't work.

Reply to
Miles Long

Yes, they work just fine. If you have lots of money, buy Grow-Lux tubes. If you don't, buy a cool white and a warm white. (The regulars around here will surely jump in to correct me, since I'm trying to remember what my mom does. I haven't tried it yet.)

My local extension agent (cooperative extension service) hung lights under the workbench in his garage last winter to start seeds. He said it worked great. He must have a heated garage though, since we're in Alaska.

Costco in Anchorage sells these "baker's racks" pretty cheap. They're stainless steel racks that are perfect for starting seeds and rooting cuttings. I don't think you can move the shelves around. My neighbor, who is a truck farmer, starts all of her seeds on these things, with the lights hanging over each shelf.

Do a google. I'll bet you'll be swamped with good ideas. Do a search for "CES ________ [insert your state name]" I'll bet they've got info on there about using grow lights. Minnesota CES has loads of good info, if your state doesn't. Your tax dollars support the Cooperative Extension Service. It's free. Use it liberally. They hire folks who really know their stuff. (They are the one federally funded agency that wouldn't feel the bite of my sword, if I was Queen of the Federal Budget.)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

In my experience, the standard fluorescent light fixture provides barely enough light to start plants properly. For this reason it's important to place the plants as close to the lights as possible. 1" is not too close.

Rather than trying to move the shelves or the lights as the plants grow to keep them from growing into the lights, I used to place the flats on a stack of newspaper to raise them up to the lights. As the plants grow I just took out a few sections to keep the spacing right. The newspaper will also absorb moderate quantities of spilled water. The newspaper is still recycleable after that.

If your growing area is in your living room or somewhere public, you might want to use some other method, since stacks of old newspaper aren't too attractive, but most people put their growing area out of the way somewhere.

However, in my opinion, there's no substitute for real sunlight if it's available. (Condolances to you guys in Anchorage or above).

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Miles, I have used this method for 5 years now. I have a double light shop light over a moveable shelf. When I start the seeds, the lights are not more than 1" above the clear lid (on top of the starting cells). Once the seeds germinate and I remove the clear lid, I still keep the light about 1" above the plants.

Another useful idea is to use some fans for air circulation pointed in the direction of the growing seedlings. (I actually have a small fan I clip on the shelf.) This helps to prevent dampening off disease and helps grow stronger plants.

Hope this gives you some help.

Cheryl

Reply to
clc

i have a bakers' rack in dining area and one in my bedroom to use for decorative plants but i need more light and would like something 'nicer' ..more decorative.. but not garrish .. than the 4 ft shop lights. any suggestions?

i use the shop lights but am not happy with them . i use my garage to winter all the potted plants from the patio and in this climate, i can get by with the eastern facing garage door open during sunny morning hours if the temp is over 40 for most of the patio plants and a small heater for nights under 60.

appreciate any suggestions. LeeH.

Reply to
Lee

Reply to