Grass clipings, etc.

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall, but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
MVD

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend it with the top 2-4" of soil.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Super duper fabulistic! Really, that's excellent mulch. Don't pack it down and about twice during the winter make sure it is not matted down by fluffing it with a gentle rake.

Reply to
Jangchub

I do the same, and even collect grass/leave clippings from my neighbors. However, I put them into a mulch pile for one year. Putting the leaves/grass directly on the beds could be messy and there may be some issues of the mix pulling nitrogen from the ground as it decomposes.

Sherw> I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my

Reply to
sherwindu

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.

Reply to
MVD

Look into adding sand.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

There's also something else that'll help with clay. Gypsum, I think, but someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. A friend of mine used it and it worked wonders.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Compost, tilled into the soil will help clay soil.

Reply to
Phisherman