URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis

Ok, so I bought a clematis about 3 weeks ago or more and it is livin inside till it is strong enough to go out in our british weather. However it has been wilting and looking dry on the leaves ever since. I tried re-planting into a bigger pot with fresh compost and tha hasn't worked.

I read this;

it this that is causing it? Or this:

I don't know if its what the problem is?:

value any advice. Please can somebody help urgently- as I don' want it to die!!!!

-- hakakahn

Reply to
hakakahn

The message from hakakahn contains these words:

Clematis outdoors are losing leaves now; it's natural as the plant goes dormant in autumn. Yours will NOT do well indoors, if you plant it outdoors now, in its growing position, it will have a better chance.. Don't expect to see any new growth above ground, until March, but it will be making root growth underground even in the next few weeks. Clematis, and especially new and young plants, can look very dead in winter but don't worry about that, they are fully hardy plants.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Plant it outside NOW. Most likely it hasn't been getting enough light.

And, by the way, using fresh compost on a plant that you keep indoors is NEVER a good idea.

Reply to
Bill R

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs round her won't be got rid of. I can put it outside, does it need to go in a bigger pot as I only hav pots in my garden? Also why re the compost? I did it because I've had a lot of roo infections in plants and I thought it might be that that might b affecting it. Also I changed the compost cos I always get flies in it And I wasn't finding advice anywhere else and it was starting to loo awful so thought maybe better drainage would suit it

-- hakakahn

Reply to
hakakahn

Pots are fine outside for a lot of plants but a Clematis does MUCH better when planted in the ground. I have some that are over 20 years old and they bloom their tails off every season. If you want to keep it in a pot make sure that you repot it every couple of seasons. The pot size depends on the root base. When the plant is root bound it needs to be repotted.

A natural killer of slugs is stale beer. In areas where you see them put a dish or cup (the yogurt cups work well) of beer in the cup. Put it out early in the day so that it is stale by the time it gets dark. The slugs will climb into it and die. You will likely have to clean the cups and change the beer every few days so it is a good idea to use small cups and not fill them all the way.

You can get rid of flies in your indoor plant's soil by using a small amount (less than a capful) of dish washing soap mixed with about a liter of water. It may take several weeks because there may be several generations of eggs in the soil.

As for compose, MOST of it is too rich for indoor plants. If you are going to use it mix it at a ratio of 3:1 with a good potting product (three parts of potting mix and one part compose).

Reply to
Bill R

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs round here

won't be got rid of. I can put it outside, does it need to go in a bigger pot as I onl have pots in my garden? Also why re the compost? I did it because I've had a lot of root infections in plants and I thought it might be that that might be affecting it. Also I changed the compost cos I always get flies i it! And I wasn't finding advice anywhere else and it was starting to look awful so thought maybe better drainage would suit it. [/i][/color]

Pots are fine outside for a lot of plants but a Clematis does MUCH better when planted in the ground. I have some that are over 20 year

old and they bloom their tails off every season. If you want to kee it in a pot make sure that you repot it every couple of seasons. The po

size depends on the root base. When the plant is root bound it need to be repotted.

A natural killer of slugs is stale beer. In areas where you see them put a dish or cup (the yogurt cups work well) of beer in the cup. Pu

it out early in the day so that it is stale by the time it gets dark. The slugs will climb into it and die. You will likely have to clea the cups and change the beer every few days so it is a good idea to use small cups and not fill them all the way.

You can get rid of flies in your indoor plant's soil by using a small amount (less than a capful) of dish washing soap mixed with about a liter of water. It may take several weeks because there may be severa

generations of eggs in the soil.

As for compose, MOST of it is too rich for indoor plants. If you are going to use it mix it at a ratio of 3:1 with a good potting product (three parts of potting mix and one part compose).

Reply to
hakakahn

"Sluggo" or nematodes should take care of the slugs and snails.

Reply to
Billy

I'll check them out, keep meaning to. As long as they aren't harmful t wildlife as slug pellets killed my cat. So I've always seen them as last resort.

-- hakakahn

Reply to
hakakahn

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

where does one get the slug removing nematodes? i can't use Sluggo in the pastures, & slugs are the intermediary vector for meningeal worms. lee

Reply to
enigma

I found the nematodes by Googling after reading a reference to them in "Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. Sluggo claims to be good on vegetable gardens up to the day of harvest. I've tried to elicit negative responses to the product but so far no one has criticized it. I don't like the idea of using chemicals either but, damn, it seems to be about 90% effective and saves me most of my midnight excursions into the garden patch.

Reply to
Billy