Gas and Plants

OK, anyone know what gasoline will do to plants?

I was chainsawing something and the cap vibrated off the saw and dumped a small amount ot fuel on the ground above two valuable plants.

To hose down, or leave alone and hope it all evaporates?

Opinions? Experiences? Help!

Reply to
Bill Spohn

Small spills probably won't do more than some immediate contact-damage. Since the initial contact with plant and/or its roots does the most harm, it should've been hosed clean instantly, but too late now to make a difference. What remains in the soil takes a few months to break down (into nutrients) so it's possible to end up with a spot of dead soil that could be dug up & replaced with undamaged soil. If you do nothing eventually the spot will recover on its own; if the plants there are harmed there's little to be done to reverse that; a mulch of rich compost will hasten the soil's self-repair by increasing bacterial action. If the amount spilled was little enough, you may never notice any harm.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I hope so - it was right above a large R. valentinianum and a nice R. sphaeroblastum wumangense that I would rather not have to move.

I shall cross my fingers.

Why can't these things happen near plants you'd LIKE to get rid of??

Reply to
Bill Spohn