Gad zukes

Is it necessary to stake or cage zukes? I am growing black beauty. The one plant I have is in a 22 inch pot and has started to grow rapidly. Do some varieties vine as opposed to "mounding?"

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

All the ones I have grown (including BB) form a clump that gets longer with the season but don't really run like a pumpkin or cucumber. In good conditions it will never stay in a pot that size. It has no tendrils so it will not grow on a trellis of its own accord but you could tie it up if the ties will hold the weight and not damage the stems or leaves. The easiest thing is just let it spread over the ground Leave word with the authorities before you go in to harvest though.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I've heard stories about people who went out to gather a few for dinner and weren't seen again until the fall freeze. Word has it the pot will produce a somewhat stunted plant but even more fruit. I was thinking of just driving three 4 foot bamboo sticks into the pot in a triangle then making a twine support system, kind of like a spider web. Sounds like that will be better than a formal trellis.

Reply to
Paul M. Cook