Frost and plants

We had very strange weather, first it was very warm for couple of weeks, so plants started coming out outside, and then temperatures went down and it was even snowing once. Everything pretty much survived, however my daylilies look kind of strange - their leaves' ends are almost white and some are like wrinkled. Did anyone have the same experience, or do you think the daylilies will be ok? Thanks.

Reply to
Violet

established plants? ok. new sprouts. probably also ok if they are still alive at all. i don't think there is anything that will seriously kill day lillies short of the next ice-age.

i have some damage on the ends of some garlic, alfalfa, etc from the frosts, but i doubt it will do much longer term harm.

the plants to worry about are things that are newly sprouted which have no cold hardyness naturally and any warm weather plants that are set out (okra, tomato, peppers, etc.) and of course, things that are flowering if they will bloom only the one time.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Oh, thanks! I hope the daylilies will be fine, just I never saw them like this. It's old plants, like 3-4 year old.

Reply to
Violet

My plants experienced the same here in the Catskills, a little frost is not killing to hardy and established perennials like daylilies... the plants simply go back into winter hibernation and wait for warmer weather. Some plants will accrue some frostbite damage but with new growth those few bits will quickly slough off unnoticed. In fact that type of exposure makes plants stronger.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Daylillies leaves look 'sickly' during winter where temperatures often fall below freezing. They don't die, but their new growth is continually ruined by freezing temperatures. They simply keep trying to grow but cannot do so. This is normal and does not impair the health of the plant.

Reply to
allen73

Well enjoy that time and if you can do then make some time for your garden grow seasonal vegetables and plants i am doing it now new plants giving their new leafs looking so beautiful now.

Reply to
LouPhillips