Flowering Quince

I have a flowering quince that will be done blooming soon. There are a lot of dead looking branches on it this year, and I"m wondering if I should cut them off...? If so, when is the best time to prune a quince? Or do you just leave them alone?

Thanks! Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Hi Angie,

Chaenomeles are a suckering shrub that send up an ever-increasing circle of canes. Occassionally, you have to wade in there and prune out the older, dead, or dying canes. After flowering is fine, as is late winter before blooms. Look closely at the canes you think are dead, they may just have less vigour than some of the younger canes.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

You can remove dead branches from a tree or shrub anytime. I would avoid pruning the quince otherwise. They tend to be fountain-shaped shrubs and pruning, in my opinion, ruins the natural shape. I love them when they bloom, but I have to admit that the rest of the year they aren't very attractive.

Reply to
Vox Humana