Feeding caught fish to chickens

Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

Ignoramus14990

They should love it, but don't let a half-eaten fish carcass lay around for days. Not only will it breed disease, it will stink!

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Thanks. I think that I will grind that fish in the grinder along with other kitchen scraps, which I grind anyway.

Ignoramus14990

Chicken then tastes like fish! It's true! In Peru they use fish meal for chicken feed - and it tastes like fish!

Reply to
Gloria Lenon

how about their eggs?

Ignoramus14990

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

Reply to
Ann

Well, I figure that since I do not eat my chickens (I keep them for eggs), there is no danger here, since eggs do not accumulate mercury.

Ignoramus14990

Who cares?

Are you trying to create your own chicken of the sea?

This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.

Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Are you hoping the chicken eggs will taste like caviar?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

From the tone of your post, I would say neither, your breath is probably worst than both.

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

Well to carry the thread to a logical end, the OP might have thought EITHER group might have some good insights to his question. I.E. garden = fertilizer = chicken shit or fish or fish in chicken shit = can a chicken eat fish. As for which stinks worse, I'd say neither. Your unkind and uncalled for reply stinks worse than both choices. Sue Northern Wisconsin Invision Whirled Peas

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

The eggs can readily have a fishy taste but only if fish accounts for too high a percentage of their diet. Take into account that there is already some fish meal in most prop. chicken feeds. Brian

Reply to
Brian

Why don't you kiss my giblets, Octohank?

Just stick to something you are good at like flinging cow pies at cars on the interstate or farting the national anthem?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

I tried that but I couldn't get them out of your mother fast enough!

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

That's about all I would expect to hear from some dimwitted cracker that huffs outhouse fumes for a thrill.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

No offense meant, but I was thinking of the health of the chickens. The thought of a flock of mercury-demented chickens is not a pretty picture. (However, mercury is found in the eggs of fish-eating birds.)

Reply to
Ann

I do it all the time. Our pond has a tonof Bream in it, and on occassion I will set the fish trap and catch a mess of em to help thin em out. I used to pitch them way back in the woods, but since last year I dump a mess of em in with my chickens, and in no time they are gone. I just finished dumping a bunch in about 2 hours ago. Free protein. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Don't know the answer, do you?

Your rudeness just emphasizes your stupidity.

Reply to
Hound Dog

Ignoramus14990 wrote in news:c97uie$3vd$ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net:

Since I don't have any chickens but yet am an avid fisher, I bury the ones I don't want to eat under a bush or tree. It's fantastic fertilizer.

Terri

Reply to
dogsnus

.......and ARF, goes Sandy.

Go and play with your chew toy, Dog boy.

Don't want anything at all to do with fishy chicken or stubby legged canines that can't hunt.

Reply to
Cereus-validus