drip system with existing sprinkler system

I have an existing sprinkler system on my house. When I had it built, I had them add extra manifolds for future growth in my backyard. I have some plants now and would like to use a drip system (or soakers). Does anyone know if I can hook the drip system up to one of the existing manifolds? Then I won't need a timer or need to use one of my outdoor spigots. I haven't looked at the manifolds, so I don't know what the output looks like. I'm guessing it's some sort of 3/4" PVC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat

Reply to
googly

There are a few ways to do this, depending on what your needs are.

1: Replace pop-up sprinklers with drip manifolds. such as this.
run individual 1/4" lines to each drip station. 2: T-off a pvc water pipe with a 1/2" water hose. run that water line everywhere, and punch down 1/4" feeder lines to each watering station. 3: Some other option i can't think of

I prefer #1, i think it allows you to still use your various sprinkler zones and at the same time convert to drip as needed.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

I have done this before. What I did was to plumb a 3/4" (standard black water line) poly to the manifold and ran it under a deck. I hung the line with conduit hangers and at the end of the run, I creased the line and put on a hose clamp. I then punched the dripper line nipples into the 3/4" line where I needed them. Some of the drip line runs are long, but they work just fine. This drip run supplies:

10 hanging baskets 6 40 gallon pots 1 2'X12' flower bed 1 3'x25' flower bed

This system run twice a day for 5 mins each cycle.

Reply to
Timothy

Reply to
William Brown

Like he said, most drip systems want the main pressure reduced. I suggest you get this company's catalog. It has lots of great info and parts inside.

Dave Mitton

I couldn't do option 1; there's nothing IN the backyard right now. I bought a starter kit today that included a pressure reducer... I got to digging this morning and it looks like thee output for the unused manifolds are using 3/4" pipe thread. They have some of that large black tubing (1" ?) used for the sprinklers. I'm thinking of taking that off and just putting the pressure adaptor for the drip system on that.

Will let you know how that works.

Pat

Reply to
googly