Sprinkler System

I am in zone 10 in Miami, FL and my sprinkler heads often get knocked out or damaged by lawn mowers.

I got a few landscape guys to take a look and they proposed two methods to solve it.

One proposed trenching deeper and reseating the sprinkler pipe deeper, and thus burying the sprinkler head and let it be flushed with the ground level. This means they have to trench six inches deeper for over 400 feet of pipes.

Second one proposed leaving the pipes where they are, but instead of connecting the sprinker head to the threaded end on top of the pipe, to use an elbow and funny pipe to bury a new sprinkler head 6 inches deep some distance from the line.

The second method is much cheaper because not much digging is involved, but I wonder if the lawn mower will knock off the elbow instead of the sprinker heads?

Any comments? I really would like to get rid of those ugly concrete donuts around each sprinkler head.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

The second method would be my choice. About five years ago, when I had to replace a sprinkler head for one reason or another, I used the funny pipe (about a 15-18 inch section) and it makes it MUCH easier to relocate the head up or down, OR to replace that same head in the future.

You don't need to use an elbow out of the supply pipe. Instead, I use them at the bottom of the sprinkler head. Mowing is no problem, as there is nothing for the mower to cut off, if the head is planted at the root zone. Again, the elbow is at the bottom of the head.

I hope this helps !!

James

Reply to
James

Thanks. What I mean is, right now the supply pipe has a threaded hole on top where the sprinkler head is screwed on to. So if I use the funny pipe, One end of it will be attached to the bottom of the relocated sprinkler head - and that is no problem, the other end of the funny pipe will be screwed into the threaded hole of the supply pipe and there is an elbow there. So my concern is this elbow may be chewed up by the lawn mower.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

For accurate advice, I think you have to give a better description of what you have, starting with how deep your main lines are buried.

From what you have posted, it sounds like your main lines have risers, with the heads screwed on top of the risers. Heads are generally about six inches in height. Are yours sticking six inches up above the ground?

I would guess not, and that your risers are simply too l> I am in zone 10 in Miami, FL and my sprinkler heads often get knocked out or

Reply to
Not