Do plants absorb water thru their leaves?

Do plants actually absorb any water through their leaves? I thought this is what roots were for.

I know people that like to spritz or spray their plants' leaves with water. Is there really any point to this, other than cleaning the leaves?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Bruce W..1

animaux

Yes.

Yes, especially for houseplants which do not have the benefit (typically) of humidity that outdoor plants enjoy.

James

Reply to
JNJ

The presence of water on the leaves can mitigate excessive transpirational loss. Certain plants also 'absorb' water through special structures called trichomes on the upper epidermis of the leaf.

In truth, plants do not actually absorb water through the stoma openings-- they are far too small to absorb anything but water vapor molecules. Water spritzed on leaves ultimately allows the spongy mesophyll of the leaf to remain turgid.

Reply to
David J Bockman