Cutting Queen Anne's Lace

Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping after cutting?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

Reply to
betsyb

"betsyb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it looks in the field.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior" looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the water frequently.

Reply to
betsyb

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:40:17 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior after cutting?

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from drooping. Haven't tried it.

Easy trick to try on QAL.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"betsyb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Nope, no wires allowed. It's for a fair entry. No wire, no tape, no nuthin' cept' water and a vase. (I suppose there could be something added to the water but it can't be visible.)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

FW if Charlie's idea doesn't work, try putting the stem in boiling water for a few seconds and then plunge the stems in cold water all the way up to the flower heads overnight if possible.

(you must be entering flower arrangements in the county fair?? have been wondering where you were!) Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Someone told me there IS a way to do it but couldn't remember what it was. ;)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Two words: liquid nitrogen.

Darren Garrison

Ah I thought so. I used to be a devoted fair flower arranger. Entered every bloomin' class. It was a good way to make garden money, but it sure did take over your life!! I didn't enter at all this year and the feeling of freedom was great! (we went camping instead) Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Thanks Emilie, for this tip, hadn't heard or tried this.....duly noted and remembered. Does this work on any cut flowers or recommended for specific kinds? I hate cutting, or bringing home cut flowers, and they begin to wilt quickly.....makes me feel a bit like a murderer of some sort. :-)

So much to learn and remember.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

It works on many flowers, but not always on all. I learned of it by using it for hydrangeas, which were just awful about drooping down all of a sudden. It's also good for reviving roses that have developed an "air lock" or a bubble of air in the stem that prevents the drawing up of water. (To avoid this: Cut roses and then _immediately_ plunge into a bucket of lukewarm water up to their heads.Sometimes florist roses will droop and who wants to lose those at the price you pay) Yes, a lot to try to remember.........there are whole books just on the conditioning of cut flowers.........

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

mleblanca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I only discovered the fair last year. Had two entries in the flower class, seven in the Arts and Crafts. Cleaned up in Arts and Crafts but in the intervening year, I took the Master Gardener course and I'm now scheduled to work the fair during the flower show this year. There is one entry called, "Road To The Fair" where you are supposed to find the stuff for the arrangement ON THE WAY to the fair. Last year everyone used QAL and every single one looked like crap by judging time. I'm only playing around with the thought of entering this year but I thought I'd be ready in case I decided to play the night before the event. :)

Okay, next question: I'm looking for herbs (HAS to be herbs) with common names (or Latin ones if they exist) that have to do with money. I've come up with Pennyroyal and Lamb's Quarters, so far. I need two or three more. Any ideas? Obscure names will do as long as they are really legit.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Billy Rose wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

Nice page. That was worth a bookmark!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

How about twining the QAL around a stick and propping the head up that way?

I'll think on it! C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"FragileWarrior" names (or Latin ones if they exist) that have to do with money. I've

Moneywort Lysimachia nummularia

Money Plant Lunaria annua

dollar weed Rhynchosia reniformis

Penny cress Thlaspi arvense

or if you want to really stretch the money theme...... Shepard's Purse Capsella bursa-pastoris

Those are all I can think of just off the top of my memory. Can't think of any having to do with nickels and dimes, there are some herbs with 'pence' and 'pound' in the name but not sure if you need this to be only USA currency.

Val

Reply to
Val

and it's a great place C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

dont know if it will work, but with water lilies you wait til they open and then put them in the frig and keep em cold and they wont close. this is used when making wedding bouquets. Ingrid

Reply to
dr-solo

mleblanca wrote in news:1183843677.868649.219240 @e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Well I entered a limited amount of things. Got six or seven blue ribbons, a Champion ribbon for Herb Collection and Reserve Grand Champion in Arrangements for a teeny little thing less that 4" big at any point. Not bad for my second and last fair.

BTW, burning the end of the Queen's Anne Lace worked like a charm. Thanks for that suggestion, whoever had it. (Sorry, too tired to go back and look for the post but I have thought of you kindly the last few days.)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Found the post! Thanks, Charlie. I actually cut them and immediately put them under a flame rather than cutting in a flame. I then popped them in water just like any other flower. Worked beautifully. Someone at the show said that it works for any hollow stemmed flower, too, but I only tried it on QAL.

Reply to
FragileWarrior