Cucumber questions

Although only one of the three cucumber plants we put in this year is bearing fruit, it's producing a nice crop; enough so we've given quite a few cucumbers to the local food pantry.

Today I picked five cucumbers and noticed that two of them were yellow. Now, I've seen yellow cucumbers before but they've always been scrawny and obviously not well. In the past we've picked them and discarded them. These, however, appear healthy and mature, good sized, and firm.

We haven't cut and tasted one yet, but wondered if their yellowness is a sign of some current or impending problem.

Second question. The other day I peeled a cucumber and cut it lengthwise into spears. Inside, near one end (I didn't notice if it was the stem end or the blossom end) there was a bright red splotch _inside_ the fruit. It looked startlingly like blood. The rest of the cucumber looked fine so we simply discarded the end with the splotch and sliced the rest. Any ideas what that splotch might have been?

Any comments will be appreciated.

-Len

Reply to
LenS

LenS expounded:

Usually yellow, good sized cukes are past their prime and seedy. Let us know what you find when you cut into one.

Dunno about your red spot :o)

Reply to
Ann

Hi. I can only tell you that my uncle uses a piece of fishing net to give the cucumbers something to hang from, not touching the soil so they won't turn yellow.

Reply to
mmmm crayons