Creeping Fig

Hi! I bought a couple creeping figs which I'm going to try to cover my stucco balcony with. I also bought the clips that need to be adhered to the stucco and then tied to the fig vines.

A few questions;

Is it true that I should keep these very wet at all times? Will the vines begin stick to the stucco on their own? How long will this process take? And how fast will the vines grow?

Thanks!

- JmD

Reply to
JayDee

Creeping fig (Ficus pumila) will indeed cling on its own to any wall, eventually damaging stucco, wood, brick, etc. According to Sunset, if it's not injured by frost, it will eventually cover (Sunset's word is "envelop") a three story house or even a four story house.

To control it, cut to the ground every 2-3 years. Also, when branches with larger leaves appear, remove them immediately.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I'm in LA, so I don't think frost will be a problem. :)

I'm going to have it on the balcony, so I was going to leave them in their 12" diameter pots (or something like that) and spread the vines out and tie them to clips on the wall. Will that be ok?

And do I have to keep them totally wet at all time?

Reply to
JayDee

With the roots constrained in 12" pots, creeping fig should not get out of control.

Don't keep them WET, but do keep them moist. The difference is more easily explained in terms of a sponge. If it's wet, you can squeeze water out of it; if it's moist, there is water throughout the sponge but not enough to get any by squeezing.

Reply to
David E. Ross