Container Garden: Transplanting Mint

I received from Nichols Seed Company yesterday the two mint plants I ordered in January. One is a Black Simpson peppermint and the other a spearmint. I am considering transplanting them both to a seven gallon nursery pot. They will share an apartment for a while until I figure- out how much of each I will use. If I need more of either for my kitchen later I will take a cutting or a root to another location.

Are there cautions to this plan that my inexperience in gardening is not allowing me to see?

Any comment is welcome.

Thank you.

Kitamun

Reply to
kitamun

Mint is pretty hard to kill. And it WILL take over the yard if planted in the ground, trust me! I think it also root in water.

Good luck

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

Mint will also grow in water. A friend got a Curley mint to go in a small tub pond and gave it to me when she tired of the pond. I keep it very wet with water always standing in the oversized bottom saucer, and my dogs drink that water constantly. I haven't tasted it but wonder if it tastes like mint to them? I can't bring myself to trying it. Thanks for the tip about repotting it. Mine is about filling the pot!! Nan in DE

Reply to
Nanzi

As others have commented, it would be more of a challange to try to kill these plants, once they are established, and they establish themselves very easily.

Reply to
Billy

Nearly impossible to kill even by neglect. Start new plants by burying a stem. Cut free and repot once roots form at nodes.

Reply to
Frank
[This followup was posted to rec.gardens and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

snipped-for-privacy@realguns.com says...

I thank everyone who posted in response to my inquiry of suitability to potting peppermint and spearmint plants together. The main caution was their known tendency to colonize nearby territory. I planted them together in a seven gallon nursery pot (14 inch diameter) and told them to stay there. They seemed to agree that they would.

kitamun