Gardening and Health

It seems as I age the topic of health keeps intruding on my consciousness. Here are two sites that touch on this issue.

Bill who knows what Melanoma and CAD is and has a spouse due for knee replacement in two 9 weeks. Who will really do the gardening then :))

The latter a bit long but informative.

Reply to
Bill

I hope you are not telling us something when you mention melanoma, Bill. I know you have had the other procedure done.

Funny thing, there is a balance between vit D production, produced by exposure to sunlight, and it's effects against cancer, and too much sun that can cause cancer. Sigh.......

Thanks for the links. I do hope the knee replacement for your honey goes well. Please let us know how it turns out, both in the short and long term.

Charlie, who has been recommended to have replacement on account of stupid competetive sports many decades ago, Still chooglin' and avoidin' the procedure.

Reply to
Charlie

Gardening is the last refuge of geezers? As far as it goes, it ain't that bad.

Reply to
Billy

It's a hell of a lot better than most of the other stuff with which I labored thru my life. Honest sweat in the garden.

Charlie, switched over to Springsteen in concert on the youtube...Bruce and the Session's Band doin' Jacob's Ladder and We Shall Overcome .....singin' to the choir friend, singin' to the choir...Pete is up next.......maybe some Joan after that.......building up steam for the week to come! Where did they all go? ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

You still dealing in decades junger? When you grow up it will be generations. If it is important, do it now, while you still scab up well.

Reply to
Billy

Just like the morning sunlight shining in the dew.

Gute nacht und schlaft gut.

C'est a dire dit le baline.

Reply to
Billy

I had full knee replacement on Jan. 29 of this year and I am still in physical therapy. I was at 3x a week and starting next week we drop to 2x a week. I still cannot knee, not even on the bed or couch. I developed an adhesion (which is normal) on he outer side of my knee which is pulling on my muscles and connective tissue and every now and then takes my breath away. I continue to use my Pilates machine and swim laps and slowly it is getting better. It takes time, but the actual knee is giving me no pain, it's everything else they touch in there. It is paramount to do everything they say to do, and if your wife has time I'd say it would greatly benefit her to get into PT before the surgery.

I can now garden if I sit on my Garden Rocker and have a way to pull myself up. They did teach me how to use the weight of my body to get up so that's been helpful. The main thing is, no matter how much it hurts, take pain medication and push, push, push.

Jangchub

(...)

The older you get the harder the recovery period. Believe me, I wanted to ignore how much pain I and forget the surgery, but at 52 I'm glad I didn't wait. I can now go food shopping without that speed wagon! I only used it for a few months after surgery.

Jangchub

Ingrid my better half was 20 and doing student teaching 41 years ago. Seems a young student tackled here in a softball game. Surgery was not perfect but she worked on it. Gave me five kids! She tried to hold off as long as possible as we hear it is only good for about 15 years if lucky similar to heart bypass. Her mom and my dad had it done so we sort of know. Ingrid btw is named after the daughter of the god of war. Pretty tough has been doing her own PT in a pool 3 times a week for years. She intends to visit her 92 year old mom in Florida just before surgery come home and plant her double impatient's and go on. Hell we may have a wedding in two years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I also did my own PT in the pool, but there is nothing to compare to myofascial release and the way they help build up the area so the muscles move faster after surgery. Anyway, it's only a suggestion.

As for the lasting period for the prosthetic; there is no date on the new units. My doctor told me I will probably have this knee for the rest of my life without problems. Also, I had computer assisted surgery, so my leg is perfectly alligned and the length was even fixed. I was a bit taller on the right, which always gave me pelvic problems with cramps inside my groin.

Getting older sucks the big one, but I'm thrilled with life and glad to be alive.

Reply to
Jangchub

Funny thing is, I don't have near the pain that so many experience, though I have severe osteoarthritis in this knee and it is untrustworthy. When I had cartilage removal, this was in the days of two six incisions and months of recovery, I had nerve damage that has never recovered. A large area of skin around the knee has minimal feeling and I wonder if this also affects the pain reception deeper in.

Who knows......I intend to put it off as long as possible, recovery be damned. Surgery scares the bejeebers outta me any more, seriously, there are too many variables to consider. All the hospitals around have problems with MRSA. Our agency has lost two people we support to surgery induced MRSA, though the hospitals would *never* admit to this. MRSA infection is effing rampant in this country and there is no effing excuse for this, other than greed.

I still get around well, with minimum pain, just have to be careful about uneven surfaces and rising and lowering. I always use a walking staff when hiking about, like fishing and mushroom hunting, etc.

But having said all this, were I to be incapacitated the way you describe, it may be a different story. My MIL is to have hers replaced in two weeks. She is 80 and cannot walk now without difficulty and great pain.

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded response.

Now, get out there and attack those weeds, Speedy! ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"Being 70 is not a sin. It's not a joke either."

- Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir

Reply to
Billy

(...)

I would get out there and weed, but here in Texas when it's supposed to be 80 degrees, it's only barely 50. My ears freeze off when it's this cold out and I just can't do a thing. Maybe this afternoon I can do some work out front.

The great thing about a garden using native or adapted plants is that, I leave them be and if they live, they live. This year I am not replacing anything. If it died, goodbye!

Jangchub