Compost in denver?

Where's the best place in Denver to buy the lowest cost organic compost for the yard, by the dump truck load?

And someone to till it into our yard?

What's usually cheapest and best? Mushroom compost? Cow manure?

Reply to
Radio Free America

I prefer Pioneer Sand and Gravel. They have several compost mixes to choose from. I wouldn't use manure. It has too high a risk of burning the sod. They will probably be anywhere from $20 to $30 a cubic yard and charge a $50-$55 delivery. Every little landscaping company in town is desperate for work right now and you shouldn't have any problem finding somebody to do it for you at a reasonable price I prefer pioneer's biocomp mix, It is good stuff

Reply to
GraveDiggirl

Dig it Grave Girl, thanks. :)

Reply to
Radio Free America

Many municipalities provide free compost from the city compost project, to residents who already pay for garbage pick-up. Its composted from all the garden clippings the garbage company picks up periodically along their routes, & all the woodchips & mowings from county roadside & park maintance. Just call your garbage pick-up people & ask when it can be picked up & where. Though the clippings come from everyone's yards not all organic, municiple composting methods are generally organic & result in a high quality compost devoid of dubious bulking agents & fillers in so many commercial composts.

The zoo may have a Zoo Doo program, too. It's usually inexpensive, is organic, & the money goes to support the zoo. And I like the idea that there's elephant & kangaroo poo in the garden.

Cheapest commercial compost tends to be steer manure, which is good stuff when fully composted.

Sometimes farms allows gardeners to get free poo in the you-shovel-it/you-compost-it category. I get free llama poo this way, & its even mild enough to use uncomposted or partially composted, as are rabbit raisins, though in general poos really should be composted before use.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat