Compost bin design?

snip

Sheldon, great pictures. I saved some as examples. We don't have the goose problem but we sure have the deer. Persistent beasts. I like the netting over top, too. This last summer we had such a scorcher that the plants - did actually get sun scald. I need to get some saran cloth or something to provide shade if we are going to continue global warming. The Soilsaver composters like yours are on the way - got a great deal on eBay. Thanks again Deb :-)

Reply to
thistletoes

I'm glad you got good deal, how good a deal did you get on Ebay, I never would have though to look there for a composter, but then I've never bought anything from Ebay. Just figured I'd take a peek, found this, a great price, less than I paid more than ten years ago:

you set up your composter choose a level spot that's slightly pitched away (you don't want the composter set in a depression that can collect water) and check with a level that you set it plumb and check with a carpenter's square that all the corners are at 90deg... otherwise the lid won't fit well. Also find a relatively dry spot, not somewhere that stays kind of boggy when there's heavy precipitation, otherwise with winter snows and freezes the ground will be more likely to heave and skew your composter out of kilter, and then the lid won't fit. That's the main reason I moved my composter uphill a bit, there's a small seasonal stream that runs along that edge of my garden. The garden was set there because even in periods of drought I don't need to water... that ground can appear dry as desert but dig down six inches and it's moist.

Reply to
Sheldon

Oh dear, now I'm confused...

Should the pallet slats run vertical or horizontal?

:-)

bins

> Janet.

Reply to
snotbottom

Diagonal, for best wind resistance in flight.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes. HTH :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

snip The Soilsaver composters like yours are on the way -

ago:

> When you set up your composter choose a level spot that's slightly

I think you found the same ad. I paid $58 on eBay for the exact same item composters.com has for $99.50. Shipping was basically the same. I am thrilled. No, I would never have thought of eBay either, but lately have become creative in shopping online. Did you know you can get car parts on Amazon?

Deb

Reply to
thistletoes

I'm begining to think you can buy anything on ebay, not just parts, but the entire vehicle. I think you can even find a mate, rent a date, you can find everything on ebay.

Reply to
Sheldon