can i plant my cannas yet?

I live in zone 7 and although we are still having freezes, they are of the 30 or 31 degree variety, not colder. Can I plant my cannas or do I need to wait until it stops freezing at all?

Reply to
woodrow

wait until the freezing is well past, a simple test, take a oven temp gague and stick it in the ground, if under 40F don't plant, over 40 plant. Canna are HEAT loving plants. I live in zone 8 High Mojave desert and can leave mine in the ground as any freeze we get is just an hour or two and not deep, so my canna store up food during the winter and by spring time start growing new roots and shoots. I've already got new shoot above ground.

Starlord

You pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

No, you can't plant them yet.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Reply to
salem.ganzhorn

Yes, but you may have a micro climate, they may be planted in front of a south facing wall, you may be in a zone 7b where it can get down to the average low temps, but only for hours at a time, as it does in Dallas...where cannas are reliably hardy. Many things to consider.

escape

Same here, in 7b South Carolina. I haven't planted cannas myself before last year, but everywhere areound here there are people with beds of cannas that are NEVER taken up.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

year, but everywhere

I live in zone 5/6 and don't ever dig my cannas up in the winter. They come back fine and I've even got two bags of extras that I had to dig up because they were popping way up out of the ground. I planted three bulbs in one spot last year and pulled up at least a dozen extras from the same spot in October. Pat

Reply to
PatK