camellia roots-how to get rid of

Being a beginner I need some help on the following- I have a patio with small areas to plant. One of them has a Cammelia roots, rather large and would like to get rid of them as I'm planning to plant a smaller shrub near these roots. The Camellia has been cut about a month ago, what is showing are four stumps of about ten centimeters.

Would be ever so grateful for any advise.

Many thanks in advance. M

Reply to
mariel2