Cactus flower

I missed the bloom. Lasted only 1-1/2 days. Will it bloom again?

Short; barrel-shaped. I don't have a pic, but the nearest I could find on-line is:

Echinocereus_ petinatus (Wikipedia)

Anybody?

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Sorry; pectinatus

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

If it is indeed that, it will bloom again, but is very unlikely to this year, unless you can see buds forming on it now. It also seems an odd time to flower - most cacti flower in spring.

In general, most cacti need a good winter rest to flower. They need to be cool and dry., and in a position of good light. Most are quite happy just kept above freezing (note that this does /not/ include those from tropical climates, which tend to not like cold at all, and must be kept warm all year round), and not watered.

Beware two possible problems. Firstly, and most likely to result in their demise, is keeping them on a windowsill and closing the curtains. This can trap very cold air between the glass and curtain, and if the outside temperature is particularly low, any plant in that position could experience well-below freezing temperatures. Secondly, don't keep them on a windowsill above a radiator which is very hot all day. If that is the only place you have to keep them, then, in an exception to the usual rule, they must have a little water now and again to stop them drying out.

Good luck! Cacti have some of the most spectacular - but unfortunately short-lived - flowers. Enjoy them when they appear.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thanks for kind reply. Bloom about 2 months ago In our climate still warm.

This is a big puppy, in a pot outdoors, mild climate. BTW, need to repot if big? Fertilize? My first time with specimen like this.

Trust me, this time I'm out there immediately with camera.

Another q: Are they expecting a pollinator to come along when they flower? If so, safe to assume this works in desert setting with multiple plants? Seems kinda pathetic/pointless in home garden.

HB

Appreciate.

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Still a strange time of year to flower! I assume you are somewhere in southern USA.

The odd thing about keeping cacti in pots is that they are usually quite happy. Why is it odd? Because in habitat cacti usually have wide-spreading surface roots to get what water they can when it rains. That's not what happens in a pot, of course. Yes, they need repotting, but usually not often - unless they are in danger of falling over! I would not bother to fertilise, other than with a high-potassium fertiliser to encourage flowering, but even that isn't really necessary. Repotting can be a bit of a challenge with a large specimen with long spines These plants can be top-heavy and tip over when you are least expecting it. And you, of course, go to grab it to stabilise it, and stop it breaking off. I can tell you that some cactus spines go through rose-proof gloves like they weren't there. It's best to wrap the cactus in some soft spongy material (not bubble-wrap...), and then surround that with newspaper. The plant can then be lifted out of its old pot with minimal damage to it and you. It may be reluctant to come out if the roots are filling the pot and pressing against the sides. In that case, if the pot has no value, I would sacrifice it by breaking it.

Many of the larger (columnar) cacti have some pretty specific pollinators such as bats and moths, but I doubt they would turn down an opportunistic pollinator. Even here in the UK it is not unusual to find fruiting bodies forming on cacti after flowering. In any case, you can always try pollinating them yourself with a small brush.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

So. Calif coastal. Home of the Big Drought.

VERY helpful As I said, my first time w/specimen like this.

It's 23" high, 16" "waist". I'll keep an eye out, but so far it looks quite content, and if ever need to move, will treasure your cautions. No fertilizer.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Sara

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Have you posted any pictures?

Reply to
Todd

You are welcome, and Happy New Year to you too!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not that I took myself; I missed the blooms both times.

I did post a link early in this thread under the botanical name of plant:

Echinocereus pectinatus

Should bring up, inter alia, a beautiful old drawing of plant.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon