bramble as mulch?

Hi all, first post so I?ll try and keep it short.

Have a small problem with brambles. I?m looking at taking over a allotment plot which has been left for several years and it is no covered totally in bramble. Cutting the bramble back and digging ou the roots I?m happy about ? I know I sound like a mad man. The issue i what to do with the cuttings. If lighting fires is not permitted on thi allotment I will probably have to mulch them down. But what can I us the bramble mulch for - composting, pathways, as a general top mulch o should it be removed from site altogether. The last one being a bit of pain as there is no vehicle access to this site.

I?ll remove the roots from the site unless anyone suggests otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Darren ?H

-- halibut-t

Reply to
halibut-t

you will kill yourself removing the roots. Just mow them for a few months during the growing season. Or, if you do not wish to spend the growing season mowing, carefully paint their leaves with a small paint brush dipped in Roundup (this works well at the height of the growing season, which is in May around here). Four leaves per bramble usually kills them. Yes, you can leave the cuttings where they fall, but do not press them in or cover them with other mulch because they root easily (so do not put them in pathways or in the compost pile).

You will find that weeds, including brambles, generally do a good job of conditioning the soil. You will find dark soil underneath, and as those dead roots in the soil decompose, they will further break the soil at depth. You can probably plant without tilling, with a light layer of mulch to prevent weed seeds germination

Reply to
simy1

Many thanks Simy1 for your reply, very much appreciated. I will bea

your advice in mind when we clear the site.

As for digging out the crowns, I'm quite happy to do the labour. I hav just landscaped my back garden all by hand as I have no access fo machinery. There was a fair tonnage to shift about and it took me 1 months mind but I feel a lot fitter. The digging should clear the las few pounds around my waist. :-D

Thanks again,

Darren 'H

-- halibut-t

Reply to