Barberry Bushes

Folks,

I'm looking for information on planting barberry bushes specifically the type of soil they typically need, etc. Hopefully my area would be suitable for a border around our property line in order to curtail traffic across our yard. Thanks.

Reply to
PAM KINGDON

type of soil they typically need, etc. Hopefully my area would be suitable = for a border around our property line in order to curtail

8=2E28.030 Barberry bushes prohibited. It is a nuisance and unlawful to plant or permit the growth or the bush of the species of tall, common or european barberry, further known as Barberis vulgaris or its horticultural varieties within the city. (Prior code =A7 27.403.)

Check with your town or city. Japanese (red or green) barberry is widely adaptable and does not usually fall victim to 'rust.' HTH

Reply to
told2b

8.28.030 Barberry bushes prohibited. It is a nuisance and unlawful to plant or permit the growth or the bush of the species of tall, common or european barberry, further known as Barberis vulgaris or its horticultural varieties within the city. (Prior code § 27.403.)

Check with your town or city. Japanese (red or green) barberry is widely adaptable and does not usually fall victim to 'rust.' HTH

Reply to
presley

I attended a seminar on invasive plants in Mid-Atlantic area, and barberry was one. That gave me a good reason to get rid of the one I had. Last Fall, I dug it up and planted a tree peony in its place. Looking forward to watching the peony grow. One good thing about the barberry--birds liked its protectiveness, especially in the winter.

Reply to
John Wheeler

It definitely *is* worth checking into, because if you're in an area where they're not considered a nuisance, they can be wonderful plants. Not easy to trim, though. But, they're one of the best ways of keeping dogs and other trash from passing through certain border areas.

Reply to
Doug Kanter