Bamboo and Austree Trees

I have very small back yard so I'm in big-time need of a privacy hedge. I'm also interested in something that grows fast because I don't plan on being here for more than another three years or so. I've seen some yards with bamboo, which seems to provide for a nice, thick privacy screen. I've also just started looking into Austree Hybrids, which can grow six to seven feet in one season -

anyone here have experience with either of these and care to comment or advise?

Reply to
John Tucker

You might also ask about bamboo in rec.gardens.bamboo.

I grow bamboo and it will not grow enough in three years to do what you want. You could buy very big bamboo but it would be very expensive. I know nothing about the trees you asked about. I have never seen them at a retail outlet.

Reply to
Travis

Here in Oz I would use Acacias in that situation. I don't know if you can get them but there are 100s of species that suit a wide variety of conditions, some at least will grow where you are. Many will grow 5ft a year (or more) from 6in tube stock up to their full height. The downside is that many only last 5-8 years (you don't care) and some people are allergic to the pollen.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I think the flaw in your logic here is that plants may grow quickly putting on several feet in one year but that does not mean they will provide any privacy due to the fact that most of that growth is from the main lead and goes straight up. For a plant to fill out and become a screen, much more than three years are needed. The first year, the plants will become established; the second year you will see decent growth; the third year they will start growing like crazy and the fourth year you will be moving. They will only start providing some screening in the fourth or fifth year, at the earliest no matter what you plant, and will only become a privacy screen after six or seven years. There is no quick fix here except maybe to buy mature italian cypress and to plant them very closely.

How about some sort of high fence with vines planted on it. Some vines would only take one season to provide privacy and if you create some sort of pergola or overhead trellis you may be able to get the privacy you want in the time frame you need.

Reply to
figaro

It's more like a lack of knowledge, which is why I'm here asking questions: to learn. :-)

Thank you for the vines suggestion. I will consider it.

Reply to
John Tucker