Bag worms

I just realized these have covered one arborvitae. They have already attached their silk lined sleeping bags to the branches and most have closed the hatch, getting ready to lay eggs I guess.

Yes, I searched google and found a million posts, but didn't find what to do if you have just discovered them this time of year. I have picked off one or two hundred bags. Dropped them in a bucket of water with a lot of bleach. Not a friendly death, but what can one do?

My concern is what about all the ones I missed? I read up to 2000 eggs per sack! I don't like to use poison, but will use it if I have to. It seems like it will do the best if I wait for spring/summer for them to hatch, then spray. I don't know if using any spray now will get to them inside their sack?

All help appreciated, Tono SouthEastern PA zone 6

Reply to
Tono

I had these one year, on the arborvitae and the hinoki cypress. I picked all of them that I could reach; I might have missed a few. The next year there were a few bags, and I picked them as well. I haven't seen any since. So based on my experience, I would rank handpicking as an effective method of control.

I think you are right in your assumption that they are only vulnerable to pesticides for a short period in the spring. Your local extension office should have the information on how to time that if you feel you need it. See:

other words, don't panic.

Cheers, Sue snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Reply to
SugarChile

I discovered bag worms on our leyland cypress. I didn't realize what they were at first. I called Lawn Dr. and they sprayed them with sevin. It seems to have done the trick. They were very active and now there is no activity. Hope that helps. Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Wait until the worms emerge in spring, and spray with pyrethrin. That and diligent bag removal should be all you need.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens