any receipe's for 3 pounds of figs I've placed in the fridge to keep?

Anyone have any receipe's for the 3 pounds of ripe, sweet figs I've placed in the fridge to keep them from spoiling? madgardener

Reply to
Madgardener

A bowl a knife and a complimentary wine.

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

Mmmm, piece of Brie, maybe some nice wine, or a delicious, really good grape juice and the dates. Or, you can search online for date nut bread. Then, use a bit of cream cheese and sip the juice..eat the cheese...you know, run your plate. A bite of this, a bite of that. Sweet and tart, some salt, your done.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Lots of fig jam recipes on the web. Just search on google.com

deg

Reply to
Dewitt

You need a recipe for filled cookies. If you want one I'll hunt for mine. Although the cream cheese sounds good. So does the wine.

Marilyn

Reply to
Allview

Reply to
Madgardener

Reply to
Madgardener

A dish filled with figs, a good book, or gardening magazine and a glass of good wine - who needs a recipe?

John

Reply to
B & J

We had a good crop of Izu Persimmons this year. The wife just finished making about 10 pounds of persimmon chips and a couple of pounds of persimmon leather.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You forgot a nice nutty emmenthaler... yum.

Callen in VA

Reply to
Callen Molenda

Go to your nearest Megabookstore (or a nice local one if the owners are helpful) or the Web and find a recipe for fig jam. The kind I'm thinking of is made in the Middle East and central Europe and is very very thick--basically just slightly smashed figs and sugar==and flavored lightly with anise. Delicious! If you don't like anise, experiment with your favorite spices--but quick, don't let those wonderful figs go to waste. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Drat! I didn't save the 'recipe', 'though I definitely remember passing the URL on to some neighbors. Anyhow, I Googled and searched the food newsgroups last fall when given a bucket of figs. I didn't try this, but it sounded terrific. Halve some figs, arrange cut side up in a pan, dab sour cream on each half, sprinkle with brown sugar, and broil to kind of melt/caramelize the sugar. The sour cream may be still cool next to the fruit, but that's good.

I made jam. Figs are *beautiful* fruits -- a most agreeable color scheme that I admired while prepping and simmering.

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
Madgardener

I wish I had a recipe to share, but I only have ideas. If it were me, I would find a recipe for fig newtons

Reply to
Heidi

A Google search on "fig recipes" returned 80,400 hits. There ought to be some thing useful in there. :) The fig pie sounded interesting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I Googled on "'fig jam' recipe" and searched rec.food.preserving, and winged it after reading a number of recipes. Just figs, sugar, and a little lemon juice. Washed, (de-)stemmed, and halved the fruit, and mixed with sugar and lemon in a big dutch oven pot (no cover) over first medium (to bring to the simmer) and then low (to continue) heat. It burrbled happily for several (2-3? I was here in the computer pantry reading and posting) hours. Stirred and tasted from time to time, and it was getting pretty jammy when, suddenly!, it scorched. Scooped off the interior and bottled a few jars for refrigerator storage. (I'm not a canner.) Advice from an expert on another newsgroup told me that while a fruit/sugar mix can march along happily with little attention for some time, the *second* it starts to stick a bit to the bottom of the pot, constant stirring and then judicious removal from heat is required. Another poster mentioned her mother's famous 'Burnt Fig Jam.' Seems like you can't go too far wrong. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Put in stainless cooking pot, add 3 pounds of sugar, let set at room temp 24 hours, brig to boil and boil until figs a clear. Let set overnight at room temp, and the next day run through the blender until no definable pieces of fig are visible. Put bake in pot, add sliced lemon or a tablespoon of lemon juice and bring to slow boil and cook until it thickens when a small amount is placed in a spoon resting on ice. Bottle, or seal in jars, and enjoy one of the best syrups you've ever put on your pancakes or fried chicken.

Tom J who has made fig syrup for 40 years

Reply to
Tom J

What kind of fig trees are these? I cant imagine having too many figs I love them soooo much. They are impossible to find around here unless they cost 2 or more bucks a piece. How cold does it get where you are? Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I live just north of Atlanta, GA. The Brown Turkey fig "tree" (it's not a bush anymore) I get my figs from, produces more than 500 pounds of figs each year. The tree belongs to a close friend & they give the figs to friends that will come pick them, and then let the birds and bees have the rest. I have picked as many as 8 gallons in one day from that tree!! This year I only picked 4 gallons at the time - easier to work with at the stove. The tree usually makes figs for around 45 days if they are picked closely as they ripen.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J