Ants in the Compost

Reply to
<elaine_h

that would however depend on how much borax you used eh. I you threw masses in to the compost expect it to be poisioned. If the borax was mixed with sugar and placed in a bait station it should be fine. Borax is poison, hence we should not eat it, but is also a common cleaning product. I use it in the washing machine. My pick, and feel free to prove me wrong, is that a reasonably small amount of borax (in a bait station) will not harm the compost too much. If some finds its way in it will be diluted with rain and be mixed into negligable amounts when the compost is turned and eventually dug out. It is also a fairly simple chemical as far as I know that does not reside for long periods after become wet.

rob

Reply to
George.com

elaine, I do not know if ant poo is as good as worm poo. I spoke about anthropods in general (of which ants are one variety) however if ants are common to the rule then their poop will contain some nutrients as well as spreading bacteria. When you turn your compost and eventually dig it out you should do enough to disturb the ants nest (unless it is below ground level). Try turning the compost and see what effect that has on the ants.

rob

rest of thread snipped.

Reply to
George.com

by that I mean not throwing borax all over the compost like you would lime. Mixing it with sugar and placing it in a container ants can reach is the way to go. You would not pour litres of commercial ant bait on the compost don't do the same with borax.

rob

Reply to
George.com