An Excellent Sunscald Article

Thanks for posting, however, not a very good article.

The only problem is the wounds they are showing are the result of a wound from an ijury and not the sun. They also fail to tell you that when you wrap the trunk it tree wrap it reduces photosynthesis and the production of food for the plant. Wrapping a trunk when moving a tree is a great idea but tree wrapping young trees reduces food.

Tree Wrap

"Tracing the bark around the split can be very helpful in aiding wound healing" The problem with this statement is that tree wounds do not heal!!!! That is like saying I photosynthesis. Silly for sure.

"70% alcohol" Not a good idea at all. It lubricates the pathogens.

No mention of treating the soil with mulch? Especially when most problems, other than improper planting, are a result of Troubles in the Rhizosphere.

about it here..

A great book that addresses that and much more is MODERN ARBORICULTURE by SHIGO:

now the book is sold out until FEB. You could probably get a copy at the library. I would lend you one of my copies if you lived near me. Its a BIBLE for trees. IT COVERS TREE WRAP, PLANTING, BASIC PRUNING, FERTILIZING, WATERING, ROOTS, MYCORRHIZAE, MULCH, MAINTENANCE, DISEASE, INJURY, AND SO ON. MORE INFORMATION THAT THE HOME OWNER WILL EVER REQUIRE.

Simple messages from 100 Tree Myths

  1. Do not wrap trees. pg6
  2. It is a near Myth (L) TRUNK WRAP PREVENTS COLD AND HEAT INJURY. False

There are no data to support this claim. A green photosynthetic tissue envelopes the entire trunk under the thin bark of most young trees. Wraps prevent the tissues from trapping the sun's energy. Wraps over wounds and flush cut branches make conditions perfect for infection by pathogens and infestation by insects. Wraps maybe of value to protect trunks during shipment. Wire or metal wraps are of value where rodents or larger animals pose a problem. Check them often to be sure they do not girdle the trunk.

Reply to
symplastless

Tree Wrap 2

TREE WRAP

Tree wrap, like wound dressings and flush cuts will take some time to go away. Young trees have a cortex under their epidermis. The cortex is a soft tissue with living cells that have chlorophyll. Young trees require all the energy they can get. Covering the cortex of a young tree reduces a source of the energy for the tree. Many people believe the wraps prevent sun or frost injury. Results of our studies showed no difference between wrapped and unwrapped trees. Trees may require wire mesh or other strong materials to prevent rodent injury. This is fine. Tree wrap does hide wounds, flush cuts, cankers, and other defects. We know of no experiments with controls to show that tree wrap prevents sun and cold injury. I do know that wounds, flush cuts, dead spots from included bark, injured roots, and planting too deep will start trunk cracks and death of bark.

Reply to
symplastless

More points on tree wrap.

Trunk wrap on young trees prevents the green cortex from photosynthesizing.

There are no data to show that trunk wraps prevent "frost" cracks or sun scald.

As trees grow older, the torture continues as they are not only braced in ways that prevent swaying but wrapped with various materials. The materials prevent photosynthesis in the young green cortex. There are no data to show that wrapping prevents problems.

If you think the last treatment was a crime, consider this one where several men spent several days wrapping this dying beech. It was dying because shallow roots were killed in attempts to establish a new lawn. See the picture of the beech here:

trees are wrapped with burlap and cloth and other products is a mystery to me. Studies show that these materials do little except hide wounds, cankers, and cracks that were on the tree when it left the nursery. The coverings also make excellent homes for insects. Never accept a tree that is wrapped! You never know what is under the wrapping.

For much more on this treatment as well as others see A NEW TREE BIOLOGY

symplastless

Correction: There are no published data to show that diseases can be transmitted to wood in trees by pruning tools. Pruning green current year tissues may be different. Dissemination means to spread. Transmission means to connect and bring on symptoms. If something is used a 10% household bleach and water mixture will do.

Reply to
symplastless

You are incorrect. Do some research on Oak Wilt. How do you know anything about the photo Cornell University showed? You are certain it is a wound not a split. One hundred percent sure? No. You aren't. Did you take the photo? Not likely. Did I take the photo? Could be, I did attend Cornell.

It's very dangerous in the information age to think your suggestions are the definitive answer. You should leave a little room for mistakes, you make them often. So do I. It appears nobody pays any attention to you any more. That is not very good for your cause, whatever that may be.

Reply to
Jangchub

So you are drunk on new year eve right? Why post this crap?

Wrapping tree trunks stops photosythesis. Hmmmmm where does photosynthesis take place in the bark of most trees? How is this important compared to photosynthesis in leaves?

What! 70% alcohol would be lethal to pathogens. Oh wait on . What exactly do you mean by pathogens? It lubricates them. Hmm , so they slide up the trunk perhaps? How much lubrication have you had today?

You show signs of being out of your tree.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Why post this crap?

Same thought occurred to me David, except I was thinking of your gratuitous display of hostility.

Your entire post could have easily been: Can you quantify the importance of photosynthesis that occurs on the trunk of a young tree as compared to the photosynthesis in its' leaves, and please clarify statement on use of 70% alcohol (Isopropyl, methyl, EtOH?) to reduce plant pathogens.

A question of my own is when did New Years Eve begin on New Year's Eve morning? I realize that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but still, I thought New Year's Eve started in the, you know, evening.

Reply to
Billy

What does it matter if you do not understand compartmentalization?

Reply to
symplastless

Good question

I would take class on tree biology and take a closer look under a microscope.

The green cortex of the stem is the site of photosynthesis. even when there are no leaves on the tree. lenticels are for exchanging gases when no leave son the tree.

a very good source is

symplastless

You are right. My tone was not waranted.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You da man Dave.

Reply to
Billy

Yeah it was, Billy is just an asshole.

Reply to
D. Staples

Good idea, when do you sign up?

Reply to
D. Staples

Barf bucket time! I prefer David's honest irritation to your patronising attitude any day of the week.

Reply to
FarmI

What? You've never made a mistake that you've apologized for? In you ear an out the other side Sheila. Opinions are like bottoms, everyone has one but nobody wants t hear it. Go bugger yourself.

Reply to
Billy

Oh, and Happy New Year;-)

Reply to
Billy

Here is a starter. Elements are being offered now.

symplastless