Agapanthus - Advice Needed O' Wise Ones!

Hello! I am new to the forum. I know a but about plants but am learnin

lots more all the time.

Can someone advise please? I have 2 beautiful Agapantha Plants whos flowers have just turned to seed heads. Most are still green.

I would like to try and grow some more plants from seeds, (I understan that it will take at least 3 years for the plants to flower).

My question is - can I use the green seeds or do I need to wait unti they have dried on the plant?

Alternatively, can I remove them now and dry them off the plant?

Your help is appreciated

-- Amberlabamba

Reply to
Amberlabamba

What you see on the stalk is a cluster of seed pods. The seeds are inside.

Wait until the first pod starts to split open. Then remove the entire stalk, cutting near the base. Remove each pod and let them slightly dry in the shade. Then you can open the pods and remove the seeds. See my for starting the seeds.

Note, however, that the plant itself will send out side shoots and spread. While this is slow, it will be faster than getting flowering plants from seed.

By the way, the name of the plant is Agapanthus (singular or plural), not Agapantha. Sepcifically, it's A. orientalis. The common name is "lily of the Nile".

Reply to
David E. Ross