Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen????

I'm looking to make a privacy screen at least 10-15 ft or taller. I need a plant that has leaves all year (evergreen) and will grow as tall and thick as possible in the shortest amount of time. Also, and this is important, it needs to be able to do so in shady conditions.

I've experimented with giant thuja, several bamboos, and lorrell. Any better suggestions?

Reply to
joe

What if you planted a vine? Trumpet honeysuckle, and hall's honeysuckle come to mind. Fairly fast growing, easily grows above the fence line.

Reply to
Snooze

Reply to
presley

I was gonna say bamboo, but you already mentioned that.

How about kudzu? You'll have to provide some support for it -- at least initially.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

How about not. Kudzu is a wildly invasive plant that has taken over many native ecosystems. It is banned in many areas. Please do not plant more of it.

For the OP, you might try yaupon holly or wax myrtle. Since you don't give a location, these may not do well for you. Either way, yaupon probably won't be a really fast grower, but would be respectable in that regard (depending on variety--avoid dwarf varieties, of course).

Treedweller

I assume the kudzu suggestion was a joke. Planting kudzu is a very bad idea. A highly invasive plant that grows extremely fast, and quickly takes over entire areas. A quick search on google for kudzu should show you why kudzu is a bad plant outside of their native areas.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

It was a joke -- one of those "not really funny, but kind of funny because it's so inappropriate" kind of jokes. ;-) (the "at least initially" part was supposed to give it away)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The problem with a "joke" like that is that this group tends to attract neophytes who assume they are getting expert advice. Us insiders might get it, while the OP is out looking for the cheapest source of perhaps the worst plant possible.

As someone who values good writing, I bristle at the use of emoticons to convey meaning, but in this case I think it would have been a good idea.

Treedweller

by "native areas" i assume you mean JAPAN from whence it originally was brought to "renew and rejuvenate" the soil of the post-war south (post CIVIL war, that is)??

actually, whilst visiting the atlanta botanical gardens some years back, i asked the cashier in the gift shop whether they sold seed for kudzu and she looked at me as if i'd just landed from another planet---as well she should--IF...IF i lived in a kudzu zone; but, i explained to her i lived in utah, usda zone UT5b and it would definitely die when winter came but perhaps during the spring and summer months it might rejuvenate MY dead soil (yeah, i know....you're all laughing your boots off....but you gotta understand, all this happened BEFORE i went to skool to learn about plants and stuff). i, myself, almost died laughing when the horror on the woman's face extended to her next statement; to wit:

"Y'all DON'T WANT KUDZU!!!!!!!!!! Why, y'all kin heer kudzu GROW!!!!"

well, i was right---it died when the temp hit below 30F and my attempt to winter them over by pot-planting them and bringing them in was an abysmal failure (sigh) as was 99% of almost everything else i "TRIED" to grow in those days.

Reply to
RAINDEAR