Privacy Hedge

Greetings all.

I live in Eastern Oklahoma (Zone 7) and am looking for a plant to use as a hedge/screen to shield about 250' of my property from the sight of traffic (and hopefully abate some of the noise) on a nearby road. I have privets there now which do a fairly good job until they lose their leaves in the fall.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to plant that would be fast-growing and drought resistant preferably native to the area.

Thanks in advance.

--Stu

Reply to
Stu

cedar?

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm in zone 7, Alabama. I have some beautiful arizona cypress. They are very quick growing, beautifully shaped, remind me of a Christmas tree shape. Mine have grown from 1 foot when planted to about 12-15 feet in four years. They grow wide and full all the way to the ground. They're evergreen, of course, and they have a blueish color to them. You'll need to space them about 12 feet apart, they can placed much closer for a full hedge effect very quickly. The planting tag on mine said 4-6 feet apart, but they were touching after two years. For me it has not affected the looks of them at all. I'm using mine to screen off a neighbor that likes to sit in her yard and watch and has a lot of company that must all be hard of hearing cause they talk at the top of their lungs. The trees have worked their magic and are blocking out them and their noise. And they are gorgeus trees to enjoy just looking at. I first found them at a nursery for $8 ea. I told the woman I was homesick for the tall spikey trees in Seattle where I had just moved from. She showed me the arizona cypress and told me to toch them and then smell my hand. They smelled cedarish and woodsy and I was sold on them. The next year I bought some more for another section of my fence and I got them at Wally World for $4 ea. They are all doing great in our heat, humidity, and droughts in the summer and the cold temps in the winter don't bother them either. I fed them by watering with miracle gro the first year, but have done nothing to them since, but just let them be.

Gloria

Stu" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Gloria

Thanks Gloria.

I'll check and see if they are available here.

--Stu

Reply to
Stu

I don't either. This is the first place I'd look:

OP should contact them with his question.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks Joe.

An email is in the pipe to them.