Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

SOS: Please send rain!
Today we are supposed to break the record temp for this date. We will get to 117!!! It's miserable out there. I forget in the spring that when it gets this hot that I no longer want to care for my...
9
9

corn silks/ear shoots
I've got a small batch of corn and I wanted to help them along with pollination. Most have tassel-stalks fully emerged and spread out with the little tassels hanging on most of them. I've read...
1
1

Re: What's eating my beautiful tomatoes?
Tomato hornworms eat foliage and possibly very small green fruit. I think Pat may be closer in suggesting tomato fruitworm.
4
4

Purple Pole Beans?
I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a purple pole bean variety?
22
22

need fresh sweet pickles recipe
Does anyone have a recipe for sweet fresh vegetable pickles which can last for about a week? I do not want to go through the canning scenario. Thanks ahead. /z.
1
1

Re: do tomatoes use water overnight?
Generally they will use some water overnight, but not as much as during the day. If the soil is moist (under the surface) they should be fine. Normally you should not need to water every day. Their...
11
11

Mothballs for Squirrels?
Does anyone know -- will mothballs keep squirrels away from plants? If not, any suggestions? Thank you!

Chili peppers lose their sting upon drying?
I was wondering if chili peppers (small hot red ones) lose their sting if they're laid out in the sun. I wanted to use them to discourage insects in my organic garden, drying and crushing them would...
2
2

Re: Chilli recipe ?!
In Maryland, USA, I had mixed results "air drying" chiles. I built a drying rack using some screen wire and wood for a frame, and keep that on top of my refrigerator. With that, the thinned skinned...

Planted pumpkins and kabocha but one looks like zucchini
I planted a whole lot of pumpkin and kabocha seeds this year but one plant has "fruit" that looks like zucchini! I've never grown zucchini here so it couldn't be a volunteer. Could it be that a bee...
4
4

Self-Sufficiency
I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency. The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at 's so new I...
10
10

Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes
Hi. Just wanting to share an experiment... I read quite a while ago that some top chefs freeze finey chopped spices/herbs for winter use, and for salads and what have you, in ice cubes. So I chopped...
2
2

Re: How should I hand pollinate sweet corn where there's not a bunch growing together?
Hello Horatio, You can take a plain-paper bag, and visit all your corn plants that have tassles with lots of pollen. Bend the top of the plant over into the bag and shake pollen into the bag. Repeat....

What are these white cottony-like thingies on my plants....?
We had an extremely wet spring. And now a lot of plants in our garden have this white, cotton-like fuzzy stuff on some of the stems and stem axes. It reminds me of mealy bugs but I have only ever seen...
6
6

Re: a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?
Currently on for $10 & up. I just paid $23 for a new copy a few minutes ago. Hope Pat's recommendation was a good one! :-) Bill http://www.addall.com.used/
4
4